Fatal M5 crash: Taunton memorial concert remembers victims
By abbie_taunton | Monday, October 29, 2012, 15:30
A memorial concert is taking place in Taunton exactly one year on from the fatal M5 pile-up on November 4 last year.
The Fire and Rescue Service Concert Band will be performing in memory of the M5 crash victims
On November 4 2011 the emergency services were called to one of the "worst ever" road traffic collisions in history where seven were killed and 51 were injured as a result.
The tragic pile-up, which happened on the evening of Friday 4 November 2011, was described as "one of the worst on British roads in 20 years," and involved 34 separate vehicles.
To remember all involved, The Brewhouse Theatre in Taunton has donated their theatre for a concert by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service Concert Band.
The concert, held in conjunction with a silent auction, will be used to raise money for two local charities who were directly involved with the aftermath of the fatal collision.
The two charities are The Fire Fighters Charity and Somerset Accident Voluntary Emergency Service (SAVES) – a small voluntary group of highly qualified doctors supporting the ambulance service.
The silent auction has already been set up and can be found on the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue service website.
Donations to the silent auction include:
- A 30 minute flight in a 1945 Belgian Stampe training aircraft for two people,
- A pearl necklace from Leath Jewellers in Taunton
- A full spa day at Cedar Falls Health Farm
- Twelve bottles of mixed wine from M&S retailing at £100
- A copy of the 40th Anniversary Glastonbury Festival book, a 2011 T Shirt and 2011 Glastonbury Programme donated by festival organiser Michael Eavis
- One family ticket for Glastonbury Abbey - 2 x Adults and 3 x Children. Valid until 5th November 2013
- A free One hour Portrait session with Oak Barn Photography in Hambridge.
Over forty items from local businesses have been donated to the silent auction and you can find information on how to take part and descriptions of all of the donations on the website.