Taunton waste collection changes this week
By NickCaterSWP | Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 10:56
Taunton's kerbside collections – including clinical waste collections – are one day later for the rest of this week, including Friday collections on Saturday 5 January.
Kerbside services and garden waste collections will return to their usual schedule from Monday 7 January.
All recycling sites have today reverted to their usual timetable.
During 7-18 January, "treecycle" decoration-free real Christmas trees below 6ft by putting them out with your paid garden waste collections or by taking them to any recycling site for composting.
If all else fails, put the tree out with your refuse for disposal in landfill.
Among Somerset Waste Partnership's top festive recycling tips:
- Help collection crews by spreading extra items over a couple of weeks or more and keeping materials separated in recycling boxes.
- It is best to save cards and wrapping paper for reuse. Otherwise, recycle these with cardboard, but not if printed on plastic or foil.
- Take large quantities of cardboard to recycling sites and combine the trip by taking other items, such as natural Christmas trees for composting.
- Include paper kitchen towel with food waste – including turkey carcasses – for recycling.
- Rinse bottles and cans, take tops off, ensure aerosols are empty, flatten card, scrunch up aluminium foil, and keep textiles dry in bags (not black sacks).
If you still have a fridge full of leftovers and a bulging rubbish bin, almost everything can be reused or recycled:
- Food – freeze or re-use leftovers; compost sprout and other peelings or recycle with other food waste.
- Cards and wrapping – save cards for gift-tags; reuse wrapping paper or recycle with card at the kerbside.
- Decorations – compost anything green, from mistletoe to your real tree.
- Unwanted gifts – give away to charity or through online networks, or sell them on.
- If you replaced TVs, white goods or furniture for Christmas, offer working items in good condition to Somerset's reuse groups.
For more on reuse and recycling, including all festive changes, check: http://www.somersetwaste.gov.uk.